Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Broccoli Spinach Soup

Broccoli Spinach Soup

After all those cakes and cupcakes, I really needed something green. So the other day when Joy the Baker posted this lovely little Broccoli Arugula soup, I ran over to the Seward Co-op to gather the ingredients. While I do love arugula, once I was there I decided I would rather not buy an entire package of it and be forced to eat arugula every day until I resented it. So instead, I went with spinach, which comes in bulk and the amount for this recipes came out to about fifty cents (and was probably more than a cup since I am terrible at eyeballing such things). That and broccoli were all I needed, the rest of the ingredients are staples I always keep on hand.

There aren't any pictures of the finished product. You know what that means: It. was. good. I gobbled it up before I could remember to grab my camera (and also before I added the squeeze of lemon, but that was rectified for the last half of the bowl at least). Keep this recipe in mind if you ever make an Irish Car Bomb Cake and need some vegetables in your system to counteract the sugar, stat.

Broccoli Spinach Soup
Adapted from Joy the Baker's Broccoli Arugula Soup who adapted it from goop.com

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock, chicken stock, or water (I used 2 cups veggie stock with .5 cups water. I definitely recommend using stock over water in any recipe.)
1 cup baby spinach
splash of lemon juice (fresh is best)

Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and broccoli and cook until the broccoli is bright green. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, and stock or water and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.

Transfer the contents into a food processor or blender (two batches might work best, I did one in my food processor but made a little mess), add in the spinach, and blend until smooth. Makes two servings. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice mixed in and a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.

PS- I did grab this shot of the leftovers the next day:
Broccoli Spinach Soup

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I am soooooooo making this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I had to come back and tell you that I made this tonight and that it was super awesome! Also I accidentally put curry powder instead of cumin because I grabbed the wrong spice and it was still super awesome. I guess they are similar spices anyway... plus they're my favorite two spices. Haha. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say, I love when I follow one of my fave blogger's links (Caity rocks!) and it leads me to a site run by a fellow Minnesotan!! I saw "Seward Co-op" and knew right away! :D
    Anyway... do you think this soup would work well if you spooned out some of the broccoli chunks, just blended the broth and spinach, and then added the broccoli back in? I prefer chunks in my soup, not sure why, but it seems like that might work... *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caity- Glad you liked it!

    Brianne- I think that would work great! You could either keep some out of the food processor or just pulse it a couple times in there instead of waiting for it to be smooth. And yay for Minnesota! ;)

    ReplyDelete