Monday, May 3, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Extract (An Update)

Homemade Vanilla

You may remember when I made my own vanilla extract. Well it's finally done! Actually, it has been done for over a month, but keep forgetting to post about it. Even when it's 'done', it still has a strong alcohol smell, but don't let that put you off. I've used it several times and it works just like any extract you would buy at the store.

The little jar on the left is made with bourbon and the one on the right is rum. It might make a slight difference in some recipes, but so far I haven't been able to tell. And now I have enough vanilla to last me until I die. Or probably more like a year with how much I bake...

2 comments:

  1. So. This one time Hank's mom gave me a bottle of brandy with vanilla beans in it for Christmas. She said to let it sit for a while. I figured it would eventually be a yummy flavored drinking brandy. I was a little confused, however, because Hank's family is from Kentucky, and they know bourbon like nobody's bidness, so why wouldn't they give me bourbon to drink? BUT I digress.

    I had read your original post about the extract a while back and didn't register it until the following happened tonight:

    So I'm in the middle of finals and it's crazypants stressful. Tonight I decided I needed a drink, but I ran out of beer this weekend and didn't feel like opening a bottle of wine. But then I remembered! The brandy! I did a quick Google search about how one is to drink brandy (pathetic? Yes.), and poured myself a bit in a mug (the closest thing I have to a snifter). It was... awful. I wanted to die. And then I remembered your blog.

    True story. I'm an idiot. Hank then suggested that if I really needed a drink, I could try the Listerine in the bathroom. FML.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has got to be the most amazing story I've heard in a while, haha!

    ReplyDelete