Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Asparagus-Parmesan-Quinoa Waffle

Asparagus, Quinoa, and Parmesan Waffle

It was the Sweet Potato Gruyère waffle that first caught my eye, and it was love at first bite. It was the first time I'd heard of a savory waffle and I haven't looked back since: Parsnip, Pumpkin, and now Aspragus and Quinoa. Why is the Birchwood Cafe the only place that seems to know that savory waffles are the answer to all your problems? Well, all your waffle-related problems at least...

Hopefully the deliciousness of the savory waffle will spread, but until then, you'll just have to try it at home. A few weeks ago I had breakfast at the Birchwood Cafe: An Asparagus, Paremsan, & Quinoa Waffle served with Lavender-Rhubarb Butter and Kiwi-Kumquat Salsa, topped with bacon lardons and an egg with a perfectly runny yolk. While I was eating it on their patio on a beautiful May morning, I decided that I needed to recreate it down to every last detail and, if I may say so myself, I did a darn good job. The photo above is my savory waffle and the one below is what I had at Birchwood:

Savory Waffle

Yes, there are a lot of steps, but the two garnishes take about 5 minutes to make each, can definitely be made ahead of time, and are well worth the effort.

Lavendar-Rhubarb Butter

Lavender-Rhubarb Butter

1 stick of butter
1 tbsp edible lavender flowers
1 tbsp rhubarb stalk, finely chopped

Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix until well combined. Wrap in parchment paper and store in the fridge for up to 10 days. Other than on the waffle, it's great on your favorite slice of bread and smells absolutely amazing.

Kiwi-Kumquat Salsa

Kiwi-Kumquat Salsa

1 kiwi, chopped
5-6 kumquats, chopped (including the peels)
1/4 of a red onion, chopped

Simply combine all the ingredients in one bowl. Enough to garnish about 3 waffles. Feel free to adjust the quantities to your liking.

Asparagus, Quinoa, and Parmesan Waffle

Asparagus-Parmesan-Quinoa Waffle

1 bowl of your favorite waffle batter (I used Mark Bittman's but in the future I plan to try either one of the recipes that Molly of Orangette just posted here)
Quinoa flour (optional, substitute up to 25% of the flour in your waffle recipe)

6-8 asparagus stalks, chopped into small pieces with the tops left in tact
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

To serve (all optional):
1 egg (per waffle)
1 strip of bacon (per waffle)
Lavender-Rhubarb Butter
Kiwi-Kumquat Salsa
Maple Syrup
Powdered sugar

Preheat your waffle iron.

Saute the asparagus in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Mix into the waffle batter along with the cooked quinoa and cheese. Pour into waffle iron and cook as you normally would. Keep waffles warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon and eggs. Once the waffles are done, top each with one egg, chopped bacon, a small scoop of lavender-rhubarb butter, kiwi-kumquat salsa, and a dusting of powdered sugar (which I forgot, even though I had some). Skip the bacon and it's vegetarian. Enjoy.

Asparagus, Quinoa, and Parmesan Waffle

PS- Join the waffle revolution at WAFFLEBLAWG

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura - Alex's mom here. Her sister told me about your food blog (thanks, Ale!), and it looks so beautiful. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I'll have to try some of your recipes soon. I really need to do something with quinoa . . .
    Keep it up - I'm bookmarking you!
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jann- Thanks! I'm obsessed with quinoa for some reason, but haven't posted too many recipes. I'll have to do some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness can you come and make me breakfast?!? This looks seriously so insanely amazing. You did such a good job of recreating the waffle and I must say that I think yours looks even better. I looove the idea of a savoury waffle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold! But first I'm on a mission to buy a waffle maker. Eggos just won't do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhh, that omelet looks FABulous. YUM, great photos too!!!

    ReplyDelete